Blog Post #5

An Acoustemology Interview! Enjoy

Works Cited:

“PLP Potawatomi Language Clip.” YouTube. YouTube, 25 July 2008. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.

“Relaxing Nature: Forest Bird Sounds.” YouTube. YouTube, 17 Sept. 2012. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.

“Axe Chopping – Sound Effect.” YouTube. YouTube, 11 May 2012. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.

Kimmerr, Robin. “Learning the Grammar of Animacy.” The Leopold Outlook (2012): n. pag. Web. 15 Apr. 2013.

7 thoughts on “Blog Post #5

1. This is pretty cool. Obviously I knew a bit about what your work was about since you were in my presentation group but it’s interesting how it all links together and how you focus on the changes in the soundscape and how both the early settlers and native americans chose to interpret them.

2. I like the contrast that you create with these varying sounds. It’s interesting to hear the human, the natural, and the mechanical, and it allows us to imagine how the soundscape would have been affected with the addition of new sounds.

3. Perri- Yes actually! While reading about it I’ve found in the last decade or so theres been a huge revival of learning and teaching the Potawatomi language

Katie- It was both sudden and abrupt. I know that’s not a good answer but I’ll explain; it was abrupt in that when the Natives first met the settlers their soundscape suddenly changed as they heard things they never had before. In another way, for the soundscape to be consistently changed, it took awhile.

Will- Thanks for your input.

4. This post is well formatted, and engaging but I don’t know if using an ax as an example of European settlers is completely accurate, as Native Americans also used axes. In fact, one of the recognizable symbols of the culture still today is the Tomahawk. Perhaps a musket or cannon firing would work better to show the sharp interruption that these natives experienced when the White Man arrived. Or maybe a hammer on metal, as the native Americans had very little experience with metallurgy. Native Americans would have heard axes on wood every time they cut down and hollowed out a tree for a canoe, I don’t think it is fair to classify it as a new sound stemming from the settlers.

5. I also enjoyed the interview format. The way you connected language to the environment emphasizes the way cultural and natural soundscapes intertwine. Also, was the shift in soundscape as sudden as you describe or was it a more gradual change?

6. I really liked your choice of having the post be an interview because it enabled me to prepare myself for each thing you were about to say. I also liked that you focused on three different aspects of the ecological surroundings, so that differences in impacts can be compared.

7. I think it was very innovative the way that you created your post as an interview. I know we watched a plenary lecture about the revival of a Native American language. Did the Potawatomi language experience a similar revival?