Frozen Lake!

It’s official, I can now walk on the lake at my phenology site. I think it’s been this way for quite a while now, but I haven’t been down to try it out; I’ve been spending so much time up in the mountains, skiing. Since the first time I came to my site, the change has really been massive. The most obvious difference is that the Lake is frozen. The first time I came to this place the water was warm, and I saw fish as I swam. Now, the ice is a thick, impenetrable sheet. There is no more vegetation here, except for the lone cedar which still holds its waxy needles. There is also a bit of snow on the beach, which is a big difference from the soft, warm sands that I laid on in September.

It’s pretty difficult to define my phenology site as a natural community, as it was man-made, through fill, as I discussed in an earlier blog post. However, the beach that is my phenology site could most closely be described as a “lake sand beach”, as it is a sandy beach by the lake. However, I’m not sure where the sand came from, and can’t seem to find anything online that says where. However, I believe that “lake sand beach” is an accurate way to classify the natural community of my phenology site.