About

This is the Mindful Chi Kung for Schools blog.  It is a place to share information and our experiences with mindfulness, chi kung and the martial arts.  My son, Ryan, and I (Tim) have been practicing Shaolin Kempo Karate at Villari’s Self Defense and Wellness Center in S. Burlington under the direction of 9th degree black, Master Laurie Shover, for the past 18 years.  We have also been studying Chi Kung with Professor Shover for the past 10 years and are both in her Chi Kung Apprenticeship program.  Professor Shover receives her training directly from the Great Grandmaster Fred Villari.  Grandmaster Villari created Shaolin Kempo Karate over 40 years ago.  It is a blending of the best of many martial arts disciplines and incorporates the movements of five animals:  Tiger, Crane, Snake, Leopard and Dragon.  Professor Shover’s Chi Kung of the Hear and Now comes from several sources and focuses on living in the present moment.  We focus on coordinating the breath with slow gentle movements to bring healing energy into our bodies for health, to balance our energy and emotions and to honor our mind, body and spirit.

Although Mindfulness is a part of our Chi Kung practice, it is also a separate discipline which has been gaining momentum in health care and in our schools.  For several years now, I have been studying mindfulness with Mindful Schools (Oakland, CA) and have completed levels I and II of their mindfulness curriculum training.  I have also attended a weekend retreat with Susan Kaiser Greenland (Inner Kids Foundation, Los Angeles, CA).  As a retired Research Associate of the University of Vermont, I have also been intensely involved in Social Emotional Learning for children and youth.  I am a co-author of the Supportive Classroom: A Curriculum for Creating Safe and Supportive Classroom Environments (2001), which was developed with the help of a grant from the U. S. Department of Education.