Phenology and Place

SNOW!!! We must be approaching the end of this project because it’s officially winter. It snowed and the Redstone Pines still look beautiful. It’s definitely got a winter wonderland look to it.

Something I noticed while visiting my phenology site is that two trees have fallen since the last time I was here. I’m not sure when exactly this happened but I think it was pretty recent. On Saturday it was really windy and I think this might have happened then.

Surprisingly, some of the leaves are still clinging on to this bush. For now. I think they’re going to fall off pretty soon. I was surprised to see them though. Additionally, I saw one very small deciduous tree with 

I saw more squirrels today too. I finally got a picture of one of my way out of the pines. They’re pretty fast and I can never get close enough to take a good photo.

The Redstone Pines has a sense of place through the way it has changed throughout this project. From the changing deciduous trees, colder temperatures, migration of birds, and finally with the first snow, it has experienced phenological change. The Redstone Pines also has a sense of place at the University of Vermont. During the warmer months, students spent a lot of time here. Whether they were hammocking, slacklining, or just hanging out, this site has personal significance to students here. I’m not sure how long the Redstone Pines have been around for. I do know that the Eastern white pines are pretty big and I think they have at least been around for a long time. One important thing to note about the land history of this natural community is that it was once Abenaki land. The sense of place of the Redstone Pines is shaped by its physical features, the community it is part of, and its history.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.