Food for Thought

Vermont is a state I love. I could not look upon the peaks of Ascutney, Killington, Mansfield, and Equinox without being moved in a way that no other scene could move me. It was here that I first saw the light of day; here that I received my bride; here my dead lie, pillowed on the loving breast of our everlasting hills.
I love Vermont because of her hills and valleys, her scenery and invigorating climate, but most of all because of her indomitable people. They are a race of pioneers who have almost beggared themselves to serve others. If the spirit of liberty should vanish in other parts of the union and support of our institutions should languish, it could all be replenished from the generous store held by the people of this brave little state of Vermont.

-Calvin Coolidge, 1928

Faced by conflicting views of my upcoming transfer opportunity to George Washington, I am consistently reminded of the natural beauty that exists around my room in University Heights, Centennial Woods, and on my walks to and from practice in the morning. The Vermont scenery is more than just beautiful, but rather reminiscent of the adventures in nature that I had as a child. I’ve called this place my home since I was ten and wanted to go to college here since before I could remember. Is it worth wanting to give up? Are the opportunities going to be better for my soul than the experience of walking in the woods and tracking snowshoe hare across the landscape? I am more than just conflicted, but rather “torn.”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.