wetland, woodland, wildland

The natural community of my place most identifies with a White Pine, Red Oak, Black Oak Forest. These natural communities mostly occur in the warmer places of Vermont, such as the Champlain Valley here in Burlington. My place aligns with this Forest because White Pines and Oaks dominate the area while Red Maples and Hemlocks are also apart of the canopy. Gray Squirrel and Eastern Chipmunk are also both frequently seen at my spot, which are characteristics of this community. The soil of this community and my place is shallow and well drained.

Since my last visit a lot of the snow has melted (although there was a small amount of snow fall in the past couple days) and a lot of mud has formed. The ground looks very wet and organic, in preparation for spring. There is a small brook that is now running slowly down the hill. All the melted snow and fallen leaves and branches have made a fertile, moist substrate.

On BioFinder, Centennial Woods is marked as a dark green space. Also I can see the stream going all the way through the woods. When selecting the Community and Species scale it is visible of where most of the wildlife resides. The road selector shows that there is a large interstate right up against the woods, and the parcels button shows how the woods are split into multiple pieces. It is interesting to use this tool to see the biological and social aspects affecting the area.