Home > Singing Saturday > It’s Singing Saturday! (Super Late Edition)

It’s Singing Saturday! (Super Late Edition)

February 22, 2009

I like cool stuff. That should come as no surprise. And so when BoingBoing points me to a dual-Tesla-coil synthesizer playing the Dr. Who theme, I’m ready to be excited.

If: A — Tesla coils = Giant Lightning Generators = Very Cool

and B — Dr. Who theme = Very Cool

then A + B = Super awesome!

From the BoingBoing writeup:

ArcAttack employs a unique DJ set up of their own creation (an HVDJ set up) to generate an ‘electrifying’ audio visual performance. The HVDJ pumps music through a PA System while two specially designed DRSSTC’s (Dual-Resonant Solid State Tesla Coils) act as separate synchronized instruments.

These high tech machines produce an electrical arc similar to a continuous lightning bolt which put out a crisply distorted square wave sound reminiscent of the early days of synthesizers. The music consists of original highly dance-able electronic compositions that sometimes incorporates themes or dub of popular songs.

Watch for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GJSH5Aw3yk&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

Um… okay, but I still don’t see how the Tesla coils are actually making the music. To the untrained, non-Tesla-centric observer, it seems like a synthesizer (the piano keyboard kind) playing the Dr. Who theme with lightning bolts as background ambiance. But what the heck. It’s pretty cool at least to watch.

And next up on our Singing Sunday is another… well, watch for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItdPECGFjQ&rel=0&color1=0xcc2550&color2=0xe87a9f&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1

Joe.My.God reminds us that “Sir Ivan” is “actually zillionaire Long Island banker-cum-philanthropist Ivan Wilzig, who is well-known around these parts for his 12,000 square foot medieval castle in Water Mill.” Not being a Gothamite, I’m not sure where that is. However, I found this interesting:

Wilzig has ditched Wall Street for a music career to promote his Peaceman anti-war charity. Some of you might remember him as a contestant on Sci-Fi Channel’s Who Wants To Be A Superhero?, where he competed, naturally, as Peaceman. This clip has already generated 800K+ views on YouTube.

Now, for those readers of or above a certain age, this song invariably reminds one of the classic Muppet Show segment (MS Season 2: 1977-1978) which is very very sad. The final line is still incredibly poignant.

I guess my big problem with “Sir Ivan” is that it’s all well and good to “be” PeaceMan, and to use your flashing palm lasers to do good. But this isn’t a real solution to the problems raised in the video. How should we really deal with missiles and government brutality and conformism and intolerance? Without those fabulous flashy hands or glowy drumsticks, what’s one to do? What are we all to do? Sir Ivan offers no help here. But the cover has a nice beat and you can dance to it. So I guess it’s all good here at Singing Saturdays.

I guess.

Categories: Singing Saturday
  1. Mer
    February 28, 2009 at 11:05 am | #1

Never underestimate the power of bedazzled pleather. Nice find, Richard! Whatever his motives are he can rock the streets of NYC like a trooper and no one will bat an eye.

2. Coeurlion
    February 23, 2009 at 7:16 pm | #2

Tina Turner may have said it best. No offense to President Obama, but we don’t need another hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHXA4_O-MXM