Home > Composition, Technology, Visuality > Why (Not) Blog? A Teaching/Demonstration

Why (Not) Blog? A Teaching/Demonstration

July 27, 2008

As I mentioned in a previous post or two, I’m on the leadership team for the National Writing Project in Vermont’s Invitational Summer Institute. As part of the Institute, everyone is required to present a demonstration of a teaching practice they find particularly useful.

It probably won’t surprise any of you to read that mine is on blogging in and for the classes you teach. Here are the notes and links for that demonstration, which I will be presenting on Monday morning.

A few examples of Joseph Cornell’s work:

Taglioni.jpg

“Taglioni’s Jewell Casket”

SoapBubbleSet.jpg

“Soap Bubble Set”

As you can see, and as Sirc makes central to his argument, there is logic and coherence to his works, but that logic and coherence isn’t at all like a traditional essay or argument. It’s more associative, more like a collage.

Here are the blogs that the Institute Fellows have created. Click on the link to the blog directly beneath yours and post a thoughtful, encouraging comment on it.

(Coming soon. This feature experienced some… technical difficulties during the demo. So, please stand by. Won’t you?)

Examples of Blogging In and Out of the Classroom:

Blogging Options

1. July 29, 2008 at 4:05 pm | #1

I’m setting up a blog for my filmmaking classes this fall. I have used discussion forums in the past (set-up by the college) but 15 students just isn’t enough of a critical mass to engender good discussions online. Those forums were also behind a password wall, which is just one more barrier to participation. A Blogger blog is easy and accessible. I’m also instituting a web-distribution requirement for most of the films that get produced in the classes.

I’ll be using your composing digital narratives blog as a model for how I want to use this blog. So thanks!