Home > Blog News > Flower Power

Flower Power

June 23, 2008

Taking a break from most things digital today, here’s something completely different.

Gardening. The mere word can strike fear into the hearts of even the strongest and bravest among us.

I don’t like gardening. I suspect it has a lot to do with my parents’ technique of using yardwork as punishment for me and my brothers. In a Texas summer that can be a death sentence. Boy howdy did it ever suck.

So, while I’m not fond of gardening, when The Spouse and I moved into our lovely townhouse, it featured a front walkway that just screamed wasteland.

entryway%20before.JPG

See? That’s our door on the left. It’s at the end of that long, barren strip of vegetative death and despair.

After receiving some very generous gift cards to local fave Gardener’s Supply from my parents and brother and sister-in-law, The Spouse and I set to work. (No one told us plants cost so freaking much. It was a very good thing those gift cards were so generous!)

entryway%20after.jpg

The walkway presents certain challenges to the aspiring gardener. First, one side is very shady.

shady%20side%20before.JPG

shady%20side%20after.jpg

The other side is not only wider (requiring different plant cover strategies), but it also gets a lot more sun, which means that you can’t put the same plants on both sides. So much for symmetry!

sunny%20side%20before.JPG

sunny%20side%20after.jpg

On top of all of that, the “soil” along the side of our walkway is barely that. It’s mostly large rocks and clay. This isn’t a problem if you’re Martha Stewart circa 1996, and have an army of minions to “turn the soil, replacing it with 3-4 feet of hand-mulched soil enriched with your garden compost — it’s a good thing.” Being not thus gifted with an army of soil-servants, we did the best we could with several bags of potting soil. Good luck, little plants. You’re gonna need it.

And finally, we put in some clematis which, we hope, will soon grow up the fishing-line trellis we strung up in front of the house. Though you can’t see it in this picture, those little guys have really gone nuts in the past few weeks.

azalea%20and%20clematis.JPG

And the best part of all? All of the plants we “installed” (as The Spouse calls it) are perennials, which means if these suckers survive we’re done! Woo-hoo!!!

Categories: Blog News
  1. June 25, 2008 at 9:06 am | #1

Who needs symmetry? And perennial are all I do. Who wants to do the work EVERY YEAR? Not me.