Introduction to my place

My phenology site is located on the redstone campus on the left side of the Wing Davis Wilks hall. It is very accessible and I can walk to it from my dorm in a minute or less. The site is a man-made pond with fencing and planted vegetation around it. There are young basswoods, paper birch and several types of maples around it. A plaque states that it is classified as a wet detention pond and is considered to be one of the most efficient management practices for stormwater treatment. The plaque states that it is designed to capture 40% of the average annual post-development total phosphorus load around its area. After deeper research, I discovered that it was built by the American Society of Civil Engineers. A map of the pond shows how it is broken down into sections of different marsh depths. It states how each section controls the quality and quantity of storm water caught from several storm pipes. A layer of rocks fill the pond to filter the storm water into the ground. The map shows an outlet that filters water into Englesby brook. During my visits, it is difficult getting up close to observe the water because of the fencing around it. I’ve debated hopping over the fence and walking down, but I know the fence is probably there to preserve the land. Looking from a distance still gives great aesthetics despite this. With the bright yellow leaves of the basswoods and birch reflecting on the water, my site resembles something that Bob Ross might paint (or at least comment on the happy little trees). My site has visual beauty, however, the noise surrounding it isn’t as peaceful. Being right on campus, the site is littered with the sounds of cars and noisy college students. Having a location close to the school definitely has its pros and cons. I chose this site with this in mind, knowing that I would be able to visit it more often than other places in Burlington. I’ve noticed during my visits that the pond has a decent amount of wildlife inhabiting it. I have seen a pair of mallard ducks swimming around and diving for food a couple of times and just recently a cottontail rabbit jumped out of the shrubs. I can tell that he lives around campus because he seemed to be fairly comfortable with me. We hung out for awhile and I watched the cute little dude eat a few berries before hopping off.

Below is a picture of the plaque found on site and my field journal notes.