Salmon Hole: Final Thoughts

May is upon us, spring is coming through to Salmon Hole. The snow is gone and the color is coming through in the trees. Not many of the leaves are back to the trees yet, most of them look pretty dead because this is a peak moment in the phenological transition from late spring to early summer. Nature and culture are intertwined in a few ways at my phenology spot. I always see Salmon Hole as a natural escape right in the middle of an extremely urban, suburban area. Salmon Hole is a place where people can take a break from the culture around them and escape to the natural world, bringing themselves out of the hustle and bustle of their daily lives. I consider myself a part of this place, I have been going to this place for a year and it has helped me feel more acclimated to Burlington and the surrounding area. I even have a specific spot that I would always sit in when I would go down to Salmon Hole to write and document the surroundings. Right off the trail towards the water there is a large tree trunk that has been there since I started going there last semester. I started using this tree as a spot to sit since it is right in the center of my spot I can look around and see down the river and I truly feel at peace when I’m there. I feel a part of this place in so many ways, I see Salmon Hole as a diamond in the rough, a secret treasure that many people do not take advantage of enough for cultural, spiritual purposes.

~ by ogerard on May 5, 2018.