Salmon Hole: Natural Communities, Changes and BioFinder

With the rapid changes in weather there have been a lot of phenological changes since I last visited Salmon Hole. After reading the Wetland, Woodland, Wildland reference I found a few natural communities within Salmon Hole. Due to the location of Salmon Hole it falls into the Champlain Valley, one of eight biophysical natural communities within Vermont. The human development that is evident in the fact that the Winooski River sits right near a factory is very evident in the structure of the bedrock of the area. Salmon Hole is also known for it’s access to fishing which meant the existing forest was cut down to give greater access to the settlers of Burlington. Most of the forest in Salmon Hole has been developed, and the glacial till has already made its way into the existing bedrock and soils of the area. I truly believe that this is natural community characteristics are still evident in the ecological potential of contemporary Salmon Hole.
There have also been some changes phenologically since I last visited Salmon Hole as well. There really is not a lot of ice covering the entire way down to the water, but it was snowing today so a fresh white powder settled on top of the trees and crunched underneath my foot with every step. The trees are still bear, but despite this rapid change in weather patterns spring is still around the corner! I saw just about the same amount of tracks as I did the last time I was there, and I still believe that it was really only dog tracks since it is a popular trail for people living nearby to take their dogs.
Finally I went back to BioFinder to look into the data that has been collected on Salmon Hole. At first it took me awhile to find Salmon Hole on the map itself since it is just apart of a much larger place. Once I found it however it is quite the area. After playing around with the area I found that covering the entire area are highest priority surface water and riparian areas as well as rare species and uncommon species. Salmon Hole is an extremely important place biologically and this data proves that it must be protected and conserved. The entire area of Salmon Hole has numerous rare wetland communities and uncommon natural communities that I did not know were there before.

~ by ogerard on March 4, 2018.