Wetland, Woodland, Wildland

I recently returned to my phenology site with a new mission.  I wanted to classify the natural community using Wetland, Woodland, Wildland.  I was quickly able to see that my place is an upland forest.  After looking at the native tree species (pines, oaks, and hardwoods like maples) I was able to figure out that my place is an oak-pine-northern hardwood forest.  By the size of the trees I could also tell the forest is in mid to late successional vegetation. During my excursion I also noticed a number of phenological changes since my last visit.  There are less stags at my place.  either the wind knocked them down or someone came around to take them away.  Either way my site is more spacious than before.  The past week as been unusually warm for a Vermont winter.  Because of this heat, all of the snow had melted!  The result was a very wet and muddy soil.  The most notable influence of hydrology at my site is that all the water that was kept up in snow has now penetrated the substrate.  This muddy soil will likely help against erosion, and the water will eventually evaporate or be taken in by the lucky trees nearby.