The Off-Campus Bus Is The Best Place For Conversation.

23 Sep

The Underwater School Ray!

The more you read this blog, the more you will notice that about 75% of my friends now live off campus. As a student here at UVM, this is a factor you as well shall face once you get into those later years. I never thought that I would be one of those people, and here I am my Junior year, riding the bus from the “Greater Burlington” area, back up to the “High Fortress” that is the UVM Campus.
So the story of tonight is that my friend Julia, invited myself, along with a few other friends to watch a movie at her place. Just so we would have a nice little break between living at the Library and sleeping. After the movie, we said our good nights, and headed out. Jessie, my friend who also lives on campus, and must make this treacherous trek with me (not really treacherous, I just don’t like inclines) started heading up the hill like the champ that she is. However, being the smart/lazy person that I am, I calmly noted that it was 11:30 PM, and that the off-campus bus was still running.
So, like any good college student, I lead the way to the nearest bus stop, and set up camp until the bus got there. After what seemed like ages (12 minutes), the bus finally came, and Jessie and I were the only other people on the bus with Debbie.
For those of you who don’t know Debbie, you should take the time to have a conversation with her. Debbie is one of the bus drivers who work the off-campus bus during the week, and very rarely, the weekend. She is an amazingly patient person, and you would be lucky to have someone as strong as her making sure you get from point A to point B safely.
Tonight we spoke about how women in society are so easily wronged by the social status they have been either born, or stigmatized, into and that it is very hard for them to get out of that role once they have slipped into it. Not usually the conversation you have with your average bus driver, but one that Debbie knew Jessie and I were interested in being as she also knew that we wanted to be Social Workers later on in life.
Apparently, Debbie had been a foster parent for many years, and she knows what it is like for people to transition from one role in life to another, and she understood it well. The few moments we discussed the issue with Debbie felt great, and Jessie and I knew that we had made the end of her ten hour shift by being able to keep up with the level and pace of her thought process.
As for me, I am now safe and sound in Living and Learning, and am ready to embrace the soft folds of my bed.

The moral of this story: Conversation is just another way of getting to know yourself, and surroundings a little clearer.

Night Night all!