Ethnographic Studies: I just did one!

23 Sep

Now I know some of you are thinking, “What is an ethnographic study?”… But it really sounds more like, “What the hell are you talking about?” Being that I am the sort of person that doesn’t like to be led by the blind, I will not tell you what it really means, but give you my interpretation of what I have gathered from Professor Rudiger (because he is THE man!)…
An ethnographic study is basically an interview of the qualitative sort, very similar to a case study, but not really. I kid you not my friends. If Rudz pointed at me right now, (a little strange because I am in my room, but whatever…) I would say the exact same thing, and he would say “Why yes Miss Reba, you are quite right… Now here is an A+, and you may leave.” Except not really because this is college and not my dream world. But, I think we all get the gist.

Back to the main point of this post!

I just finished my first day of survey research for my Sociology 100 class, and it was both scary and enlightening! I really enjoyed talking to people and asking them questions about their personal lives in relation to their interpersonal relationships conducted at work. That is a very confounding way of saying women care more about establishing relationships at work, and in their outer lives as well. I know your all thinking, “Well, DUH!”, but you would be surprised.
Many studies have shown that men and women are at about the same level of social interactions, women are just more open about it. My group is trying to gather qualitative information to disprove, or to align the inconsistencies, and verify the mass assumption. Hopefully this works out, or else I shall be terribly sad to say the least.
However… I must go back into the “field”, and gather more information!

TTFN!!!

PS: The real definition of an Ethnographic Study is posted below.

Ethnography: some set of formal techniques that are used to expose information on a given topic.

Ethnographic Process:
1. Develop questions
2. Determine methods
3. Gain access
4. Collect data
5. Interpret data