First Post! Read to learn about my unequivocally beautiful place

17 Oct

My spot for the Phenology blog is located right on the scenic Winooski River. The area I choose is at the tip of a thickly vegetated island that is about 15 meters off of the main path that cuts through the Casavant Natural Area (Shown in maps found on previous blog post). Since the water level is low, for the time being, the land between the path and the island is just a muddy ditch with a tiny amount of water flowing through. Also residing in my spot is another mini island located at the tip of the larger one. The land between the two islands is rocky and not submerged by the river at this point in the year.

Panorama taken from mini island

Panorama taken from mini island

The vegetation in my spot is comprised of low growing bushes, grasses, thickly tangled vines and towering trees. The two trees on the part of the island that I am including in my zone both are wrapped around by several types of ropy vines. Also, both trees branch out at many points, which creates a wide canopy about 100ft above the Winooski River. One of the trees actually sprouts into three trunks right at the base. Both trees are tall Silver Maples, but I am unaware of the names of the cacophony of snake-like plant species that are entangled around them. The areas in my spot that do not have grass, bushes or trees are the spots lower to the river. These parts are comprised of rocks, sand and river water.

Two Silver Maples

Two Silver Maples

When I was trying to find a location for this project, I knew I wanted to go to a place that was a little ways away, or in other words, a place far enough away that I could feel detached from school and school work. A few friends and I looked at a map of the Burlington area, found a nature area, and bused there to find spots. Lucky for us, the land area we choose is beautiful as well as easy to get to, for it takes only 30 minuets, which includes walking to the bus stop, taking the bus and walking through the woods to our spots. I picked my specific spot mainly for its proximity to the river and its uneven elevation. Later in the year, it is possible that the river level will rise, therefore submerging half of my plot. Another large factor for picking this spot is that it is absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully my photos will be able to capture how pleasant and pleasing it is to be present there.

After visiting my spot twice, I am feeling thrilled for the rest of the phenology project. I am truly excited to intimately understand a piece of land and to trace its subtle and distinct changes over the weeks to come.

Now that's a tree!

Now that’s a tree!