Finalized Phrenology Blog

During the last week of my freshmen year of college, I went and observed Redstone Pines. At this location, nature and culture intertwine perfectly. First off, students at the University of Vermont go to this place to hammock and enjoy the outdoors. This is a perfect place to witness the interactions of humans and nature. Humans use the trees to hang hammocks, and enjoy the outdoors! The UVM culture has a lot to do with enjoying the outdoors, such as hammocking. That being said, nature and culture interact perfectly in this location.

I do consider myself to be a part of this phrenology place. I visited this place approximately once a week for the entire semester. That being said, I consider myself to be a part of this place due to the memories and experiences I endured here. For example, I saw bird eggs on the ground the other day. There were shells on the ground, directly underneath the tree. Overall, I consider myself a part of this place because of the impact the place has had on me. Although I did not do anything to directly benefit this place, I spent a tremendous amount of time here and really enjoyed it.

Pictured above is the egg I found!

I found what looked like many cracked eggs around the base of a tree. It may have been from humans throwing chicken eggs, but it is cooler to think an animal devoured the contents of the eggs! It was really interesting to identify more and more eggshells scattered throughout a five feet radius of the tree.

There were also many ant hills on the ground. I do not know what kind of ant these hills belonged to. Nonetheless, these hills were interesting to observe. There were over five hundred ant hills throughout the pines.

Overall, I really enjoyed this phrenology site. It was closer to my spot from first semester, so it was a quicker walk. It is going to be sad to leave this spot, but I am excited to return back and observe the changes that have occurred. Being forced to visit this site during the semester ended up being one of my favorite assignments of the year! My favorite season to observe my site was in spring, because of the buds forming. This was a really fun assignment, and I learned a lot about nature while completing it!