Phrenology Visit During Earth Week

During my Earth Week visit to Redstone Pines, I observed some budding signs of nature. First, there were little yellow flowers budding through the leaf litter. They are pictured above. Upon further research, I found out that they are Taraxacum Officinale. Otherwise known to me as dandelions. This was the only sign of budding flowers I observed at my site. Because the pine trees emit acidic pine needles, it is difficult for things to grow in the soil. On the outskirts of the pines, there were some bushes emitting very small green buds. I was unable to identify these bushes. All in all, it was a treat to see some splashes of yellow in the green grass!

Pictured above are some people hammock-ing due to the nice weather! It was around fifty degrees, and partly sunny. The Eastern White Pine trees have branches growing up towards the top of the tree, so it was hard to observe the growth of pine cones. But, I did observe the budding of pine cones on other trees on campus. The little pine cones looked similar to berries. That being said, I am sure that there were also budding pine cones coming from the branches that were not visible to me.

During my visit, I sat on the grass with some friends. Soon after, I looked down and saw a spider on my leg. I love spiders, so this is very exciting for me. The spider was a European Garden Spider. I played with the little dude for a few minutes before setting him on a tree trunk.

Pictured above is a sketch I created over an Eastern White Pine tree. The tree trunk has been pecked on by a woodpecker. A Hairy or Downy Woodpecker would have made these pecks due to the size of the holes. The holes were small, which indicated that they were not made by a Pileated woodpecker. I am infatuated by the holes woodpeckers create, and the holes they leave behind. Nature is beautiful due to the way in which it all interacts. The holes were made in the middle portion of the tree, and there were brown wood chips on the ground, directly parallel to the tree. I wish the holes were lower to the ground so I could peer into one and try and observe some birds!