Lone Rock Springtime Migrations

As Vermonts “springtime ” came into action I was beginning to get excited for the migration of amphibians to their vernal pools. Vermont is known to have a great amount of spotted salamanders and spring peepers. While my phrenology spot specifically isn’t the ideal location for a migration of amphibians as it lacks vernal pools, the area closer to the path is very muddy and wet which definitely had some potential for amphibians coming out of there hibernation. I looked under rocks and around the swampier wetland sections of the trail but wasn’t able to discover any reptiles. Also seeing as the spring has been so cold and frequently snowy I was unable to find any budding trees or flowers.

The two most prominent edges of my phrenology site are the rather abrupt edge where the cedar bluff begins. This edge transitions from a more woody wetland area to shrubs and grasses swell as drier soils before the cedar stand. This edge is probably made up of shrubs and grasses because as the area gets progressively closer to the bluff there is more wind as well as less rich soil, making it uninhabitable by most of the native tree species which make up the other part of the stand. Another edge is the gradual edge created by the walking path which isn’t to severe a buffer. The wildlife comes right to the edge of the path in most parts and doesn’t seem to disrupted by its placement. I haven’t seen many forest interior species here except signs of woodpeckers, such as the hole drilled in a tree pictured in one of my earlier posts.

Blue spotted salamander would probably be spotted here is I had seen any reptiles as they are known to inhabit this area