April 16

Although I did not notice any signs of amphibians in my place, there may have been some in the surrounding area. This is because my place is on the elevated bank of Centennial Brook and the area between my place and the brook seem to be good habitat. There are not any spring flowers yet, probably due to the low temperatures we have had lately. None of the trees were flowering either, the buds appearing to be in the same state as they were on my last visit.

From a landscape ecology perspective, the closest edge is the edge between elevated, dry land, and the marshy area on the bank of Centennial Brook. The edge effect here is that more amphibious plants and animals live in the marshy area, and do not grow in the forested hillside. In addition, there is more wind and direct sunlight to understory-type plants, such as ferns, in the Marshy area, so these types of small plants grow larger in the marshy area than in my phenology place on the forested hillside. My place provides habitat for interior tree species, but not interior animal species as Centennial Woods is not large enough to support interior animal species food and range needs.