Thanksgiving Phenology

Google Map Location. https://www.google.com/maps/place/42°48’04.1%22N+73°54’22.5%22W/@42.801146,-73.9084448,652m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m6!3m5!1s0x0:0x0!7e2!8m2!3d42.8011458!4d-73.9062528

Leopold Style: This location is in Schenectady, New York’s Central Park. This location is on the northern end of the park about halfway through the disc golf course. Because of this locations close proximity to the disc golf course, many people use the area. This has resulted in there being very little ground cover plant life. Instead, the area is covered in pine needles from the large pine trees in the area. People for the most part respect the area because it is a big part of many disc golfers lives since it is by far the best course in the area. This is good because while human impact in the area is obvious due to the high volume of human use, the area is clean and pleasant to be in and enjoy. On this particular day that I went to the spot, I was with my friends from home who I disc golf with during the warmer months. We had not played in the area in colder months before, and we noticed that the few deciduous trees in the area had lost their leaves and there was less human and animal activity visible due to the cold weather.

Wright Style: My new place at home is similar to my place in Burlington because they are both used heavily by humans for recreation. However, they are used for different purposes. My area in Burlington is a walking area and my new place is used as a disc golf course in the wooded area of a park in a more urban area than the Burlington location. Both locations feel like areas that are accessible to people who like to be out in nature close to home rather than far away. This is because they both have obvious signs of human impacts due to extensive trail networks going through areas with large trees and minimal ground cover plants and they are small areas that one would go to for only a few hours at most. Aesthetically, both areas also feel airy due to the spacing between the trees and the lack of a significant amount of understory plants. Both places have also been similarly changed since the last time I went to them by the change in season. This is because the trees with leaves in both places have lost their leaves and there has been a decrease in animal activity. However, the areas are different because the new place has primarily coniferous trees and the Burlington place has primarily deciduous trees.