A Walk in the Woods

This semester I am taking a class called “Forest Ecology” and it has quickly become one of my favorite classes this semester. The lecture portion only meets once a week for an hour, but it is the lab section that is the best part of the class.

Each of our labs takes place at the Jericho Research Forest, which is located in Jericho, VT about thirty minutes south of Burlington. UVM purchased the former privately owned forest in the 1950′s, and since then it has flourished as the ideal research center for students and faculty at UVM.

Our first two labs consisted of my group mates and myself conducted various surveys of tree stands located at different regions of the forest. Being someone who has zero background in forestry, I’ve picked up a lot of terminology and information pretty quickly. There really is nothing like spending three hours in the woods, soaking in all what nature and the forest has to offer. And with the spring season upon us, I can’t wait to get back out in the forest with some warmer weather!