Hart’s Woods Visit 3/17/18

While home over Spring Break, I visited Hart’s Woods in Fairport, NY. Hart’s Woods is a beech-maple forest stand on glacial till, with very fertile soils. As a result, the most common species are beeches and maples, but some Eastern White Pines and red oaks were present. The deciduous trees are showing signs that spring is nearly here, as they are all budding (as one can see in the photo I included). Before Perinton was settled, Hart’s Woods covered 47% of Perinton, which was largely inhabited by the Iroquois Native Americans. They hunted, gathered, and grew the three sisters all throughout the area, up until the colonists arrived and drove them out. Unfortunately, the arrival of the colonists also brought upon massive land clearing and infrastructure, so today Hart’s Woods is only around 14 acres.

Much of the area is a wetland, with a creek running through the woods, making it a suitable habitat for many species. While there, I saw squirrels, a chipmunk, and a lot of rabbit tracks. There were also many signs of bird activity. I also heard many crows cawing to each other, and saw a couple of them fly overhead. For the last ten minutes I was at this site, I consistently heard a woodpecker up in one of the trees, and saw a black capped chickadee land in a beech not too far from me.

Hart’s Woods has some similarities and differences from that of Centennial Woods. One similarity is among the tree species present. In both locations, maples, eastern white pines, beeches, and red oaks are the main/only tree species in the areas I selected. These tree species are currently budding in both locations right now, as well. They also both have many walking and hiking trails, which attract many locals and their pets. Furthermore, both locations have a lot of leaf litter, ferns, and sparse blades of green grass covering the ground. They differ in that Hart’s Woods is smaller, is a wetland unlike the hardwood stand my Centennial Woods site is in, has far more moss, and its creek is far smaller, mossier, and muddier than that of Centennial Woods.