My Place Visit on 10/22/17

Today, I ventured back out into Centennial Woods, and followed the well-worn path back to my place. While still completely recognizable, it is obvious that many changes have occurred since my last visit in early October. Although the temperature today is uncharacteristically warm for the end of October, being a sunny and warm 75-degree day, cooler days and chilly nights have become a recent trend, and the foliage is well representative of that. The ground is now almost completely covered in Eastern Hemlock needles, large, sappy pine cones, and an array of mostly golden yellow maple and oak leaves. Similarly, the leaves on all the surrounding trees have replaced their once-green color with that of yellow and hints of red, and the quantity of leaves on the deciduous trees has greatly begun to diminish, as they’ve lost around 40 percent of their leaves thus far.

Furthermore, there is evidence of wildlife all around me. In fact, the longer I sit here with only the clacking of my keyboard keys making noise, the more aware I become of the wildlife. I can hear crickets and other insects chirping, the occasional bird call, and one very vocal crow who’s cawing off to my left.

As I sit looking down the sloped land, I can see small bugs, such as ants and ladybugs, crawling in the dirt and on the trees, woodpecker holes in the Eastern Hemlock, a large bird’s nest located high up in the Sugar Maple tree farthest to the right from the log I’m sitting on, as well as one in a hemlock further down. All of this makes it clear that there is a lot of wildlife in my Centennial Woods Place, and that many changes have occurred since my last visit.

Lastly, I’ve included a hand-drawn birds-eye map of my place, as seen above, showing the prominent features of the area. [All photos were taken by Madison Busacco]