Alum Spotlight: Jacqueline Keller, Class of 2015

What is your current job, and what do you do on a daily basis?

Location scout and Assistant Location Manager for the scripted drama, “Succession” on HBO. I scout for locations featured in the upcoming episode. We use google maps a lot but often go door to door as well! (way more old school than most people assume)

Why did you choose to go into the industry/industries that you have since graduating from UVM?

Most of my experience prior to film was in food and bev. I had a friend who complained about how long the hours were and they were similar to the hours I was working but featured benefits and more dynamic career options. I was offered a 1 day job, worked my ass off and was asked back the next day and next until I had a full time position. Paid far less than waiting tables but was a foot in the door.

How has your degree in linguistics been useful in the work you’ve done since graduating? Are there any particular skills you’ve developed from linguistic coursework that have been especially helpful?

Struggling through syntax most closely resembled the challenges of certain elements of work. The coursework itself has not had much bearing on my current role (besides peppering interesting facts about language and acquisition to writers and other folks who nerd out on language) but the discipline necessary to enhance a skillset that did not come naturally to me resembled some difficulties I’d come to face in work. And the fact that just showing up and being on time is 30% of the equation (if not more).

Do you have any advice for students interested in your line of work and/or work you’ve done in the past?

Show up. On time. And if you get an opportunity but the timing is less than ideal take advantage of it anyway. If you wait for the perfect circumstances to jump on something, it may never happen. Take opportunities that appeal to you without knowing exactly where they may lead. Stay curious and engaged and ask questions. Don’t ever think a task is below you and don’t ask someone to do a task you yourself wouldn’t do.

If you are a linguistics student who is thinking about pursuing a job in film, let us know if you would like to get in touch with Jacqueline! Also, if you are a UVM alum and would like to share your experience, please feel free to contact us as well! Our email is uvmlinguistics@gmail.com.