Back In Town

my google map of my spot.

And here’s a hot pic of the cliffs:

Howdy party people. We’re back together for another round of phenology fun. I went to the forest in my backyard and specifically went to the cliff inside where I’d spent much time. The spot meant quite a bit to me because I’d been going out to the forest since I was a youngster and had been passing that spot most every time I went. When I was young my dad would through get strength of will oush me and my two brothers out of the house to go for walks and one of his favorite places to go to was there.  I’d actually increased my visits these lasts few years as well which gave a fresh connection to the spot. I’d gone running with my cross country team in high school and the cliff was a favorite spot for us to visit. Eventually we constructed a small stone shrine to honor cross country and our teammates. After that it seemed like the place that I had to go to if I went out for a run or walk. So the spot, which had always represented the forest and my history with it, grew to encompass the time I’d spent fooling around with my team and doing wacky stuff. When I go there I feel like I can calm down and be at peace for a little bit. When I need to blow off steam the woods is waiting and I’m always welcome.

This place of course differs from my current phenology spot. For one I don’t have much of a connection to my current site. I have gone a few times and gone with friends and tried to get to know the spot but it doesn’t inspire the same sentiment that the cliffs behind my house do, understandably. Looking at the physical aspects, the sites are also quite different. Where I currently am, behind staples is now covered by snow and even before was dominated by grasses and flowery plants whereas back home there are predominantly the three main types of oaks with a couple other species lying around, like this conifer I can’t identify and few lowers or grasses.

There are far less signs of human contact back home as well. Although the trails are marked out and the wildlife isn’t at a pre-contact state there’s still wildlife back in the woods and there are trees naturally developing there. In contrast, behind staples there is trash frequently found on the ground, human habitats and development is visible from any point within the site.

Bonus pic:

These are some cute cones I found and I just haaaad to nab a pic.

I was recommended that I put a picture of myself in somewhere so here along with some other pics: