October 20th

Highlighted in this bird’s-eye map are the central large ash and the flat sitting rock. Since my last visit to my spot in Centennial Woods in early October, leaves have mostly fallen from the trees, now litter the ground, and crunch under my feet. Those that still hang onto their twigs have completely changed from shades of green to shades of deep red, rusty orange, and striking yellow. The ferns have wilted and turned brown, and I notice fewer colorful mushrooms sprouting from detritus. As the trees are more barren, more light penetrates into my sight and I can see further into the distance. Yards away I watch a squirrel scramble up and down an oak tree, accumulating his stash of acorns for the winter. Right in front of me, a toad hops by. When I look up into the canopy, I observe several birds perched in the branches. Although I am not great with bird identification, I think I can spot a group of warblers and a few chickadees who must be nesting nearby. After exploring the ground a bit more, I discover the unique nest of an ovenbird! No one is home, but it is still an incredible find. I take in the last breaths of crisp fall air; the next time I return the brown leaf-covered ground will likely have been touched by a white layer of frost.

~ by kiperry on October 20, 2018.