Assignment 2

October 29, 2019

Here is another iridescent bug I found, it’s called the black blister beetle. They seem to be abundant in Centennial. This shows us how bugs move around frequently in my area, maybe it’s one of their main paths. It makes me wonder, do bugs follow human paths?

Since I started with an abundant animal, I thought I might as well follow up with another. This is a picture of a chipmunk that was within the same tree trunk I saw the other one pictured a while back. This tree seems to be a popular place for the species, maybe they have their own home within the trunk. I could only imagine the vast tunnels they have within that tree.

This is a furry white caterpillar. This gives us a glimpse to the future of how the place will look when it is full of butterflies. The creature is just so cute and kind, it’s hard to resist to pet it.

This is a photo of some grass and daisies. It shows us the living natural systems within the spot that are often overlooked, but still vital to the spot. It’s not only vital to the soil health, but also the environment’s aesthetic. It really makes the place feel more inviting.

Another photo of a tree hollow, but this one looks much more rotted over. It has lots of sandy looking dirt inside of it. The hole looks bigger than the chipmunk one, this may be for a squirrel or even a small bird to next in, considering all the bark erosion underneath the hole. This shows us how the same use of one item, may correspond with different stories behind the history of it.

This is some moss with fallen pines on top of it. The moss is soft and feels like a blanket. When I meditate, I like to run my hands through it, to feel at home. It’s a beautiful small plant that I feel like holds a lot of life within it. It’s basically the forest’s carpet

The area now has lots more leaf litter and less leaves on the trees. Everything seems more dead, as winter approaches and the temperatures are dropping. However, these creatures give back the site life.

The soil in this area in very compacted down, because of all the foot traffic. Considering it is the crossroad to three different paths, it makes sense that people have walked through it so much. My spot have a steep decline when continuing the main path into the deciduous forest, while the path to go to the hardwoods is still a decline, but not as sharp. The path to leave Centennial inclines. The site’s elevation varies accordingly. There are some pines on the outskirts and mostly hardwoods when you get in the middle, like paper and yellow birch and maple varieties.