Fair Haven Plot vs. Centennial Woods Plot

The plot I chose to observe over spring break is located in Fair Haven, New Jersey. The plot is located in the Fair Haven Fields Natural Area. While little information is available about Fair Haven’s natural history, it can be assumed that my plot was subjected to an abundance of human interference in the 19th and 20th centuries as the nearby Navesink River became utilized by locals. The somewhat young appearance of trees in my plot support this theory as well. At that time, Fair Haven was bustling with industry and developing at a rapid rate. However, development around Fair Haven Road, the road bordering the eastern edge of the Fair Haven Fields Natural Area, slowed down greatly after the 19th century. The buildings in this area have been preserved, and it is likely the Natural Area began to form then as well.

Like Fair Haven Fields, Centennial Woods is also a designated Natural Area. Centennial Woods contains young trees, and was subject to much land use in its past as well. Overall, my spring break plot and my Centennial Woods plot have very similar backgrounds and are relatively the same age.