3/5/18

After observing the Redstone Pines, I believe the community is a White Pine-Red Oak-Black Oak forest. The community was difficult to identify, mostly because it is such a small area. However, when looking deeper into the varying species and the surrounding areas, the most likely identification is a White Pine-Red Oak-Black Oak forest.

The dominating tree species of the forest is the White Pine, with red oaks and Norway maples sprinkled throughout the area. The animals most often seen are gray squirrels and chipmunks. I was having trouble identifying the specific community of this area, so I decided to visit a nearby location with a similar composition- Centennial Woods. Centennial Woods has a wider array of tree species, including Eastern Hemlocks and Ash trees, as well as non-natives like Honeysuckle and Buckthorn. I decided on identifying this community as a White Pine-Red Oak-Black Oak forest because of the forest composition, as well as the background of the area. Both the Centennial Woods and the Redstone Pines were heavily disturbed in the past, which is characteristic of this specific community. White Pines and Red Oaks are known for being pioneer species in disturbed lands.

When looking at the Redstone Pines on Biofinder, I discovered that the area is actually the home of a rare animal species. Other areas around campus contain rare plant species as well. Some places in the area surrounding campus are high-priority wildlife crossings and rare natural communities.