LiteTouch failures on UEFI systems

Today I got a complaint that a user could not deploy Windows 8 on a UEFI-enabled computer (a Latitude 10 tablet, to be precise) using our MDT 2012 Update 1 deployment share (in Lite Touch mode, of course).  At the same time, I was experiencing problems deploying Windows 8 on a Dell XPS 14 with UEFI firmware enabled.  Interestingly, the deployment problem did not occur when running with Legacy BIOS enabled.  What gives?

The error reported by Lite Touch was: “MDT FAILURE (5616): Verify BCDbootex”.  Much digging though the logs revealed the command line that triggered the problem (It was spelled out in the “LTIApply.log”).  This command was something like:
\\server\deployShare\Tools\x64\bcdboot c:\windows /l en-us /s v: /f UEFI

If I try to run the command above manually, I just get back the bcdboot.exe help dialog.  Further investigation revealed that the version of bcdboot.exe on the server share is dated to 2009.  This is the Windows 7 RTM release version!

I created a new deployment share to see if the bad version of bcdboot.exe gets placed there again… it did not.  So, I removed bcdboot.exe from the deployment share (along with an old version of ImageX.exe and some other expired utilities).  Upon re-running LiteTouch, deployment succeeds.  Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 boot media contain bcdboot.exe in the search path… no server side copy is required.  I wonder how it got there in the first place?  Maybe we were trying to make it easier for people to capture system images using the LiteTouch boot media.  Another entry for the department of unintended consequences…