VMware Performance Charts broken again – fix your connection string.

Following upgrade of our Virtual Center server to the vSphere 5 version, we have been struggling with crashing services and memory exhaustion.  Well, the server got an upgrade from 8Gb to 16Gb of RAM this am, so it is now swimming in excess memory.  Despite this, the Perf Charts in vCenter have gone dead again.

We were seeing errors similar to those described here:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1012812

We got the “”perf charts service experienced an internal error” when looking at the Performance tab for any object in the vSphere Client.  A look at the latest “vctomcat-stderr[...].log” file in “C:\Program Files\VMware\Infrastructure\tomcat\logs” reveals JDBC connection errors.  The damn service is trying to connect to the standby partner of our SQL database mirrored pair!  So where are the connection strings stored for this service.  Well, no thanks to VMware documentation, I discovered the connection string stored here:
C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\vcdb.properties

All I had to do was append “;failoverPartner=[hostName]” to the line starting with “url=”, then restart the tomcat service (the “VMware VirtualCenter Management WebServices” service).  Viola… performance reports are back.

Now back to fixing everything else that is broken… also known as “everything”.

Comments are closed.