After some fine head-banging, I have figured out how to package the ApplicationXtender 5.25 .MSP (patch) file into the original 5.20 installer. We just need to follow the standard “administrative installation point” routine:
- At the command line, go to the AX 5.20 installation directory.
msiexec /a AxSetup.msi TARGETDIR=[working directory]
- Assuming the MSP file is in the same directory, run
"msiexec /p /a [working directory]\AxSetup.msi"
- Now just zip the working directory into a single file.
We do have some other options that may help with deployment:
- The “XSCM.Config” file from “\Documents and Settings\All Users” into the final archive directory, along with a script that drops this file into place on the target system. This will save installation staff the need to locate the setup file on first run of the application
- The install directory can be added to a self-extracting zip, which calls the SETUP.EXE.
- SETUP.EXE has command-line support, documented in the AX Installation guide. Essentially, we would run
SETUP MsiExec.exe /i "AxSetup.msi" /QB INSTALLLEVEL=[install_level]
where [install_level] is a number from 1 to 3. 1=Retrieval install, 2=Scan, and 3=admin install.