TRAVEL BLOG: Osaka and Food

18 Feb

post%204.jpg
皆様今日は(Hello everyone)! Allow me to apologize in advance for not posting this past Sunday. Last week, a large group of IES students, including myself, took a trip to Osaka. During this trip, I had very little access to a computer and I wanted to devote my time and energy to being in this fantastic city. Osaka is one of the three largest cities in Japan, along with Kyoto and Tokyo, the largest one and also the capital. While Kyoto and Tokyo are known for historical shrines and overwhelming nightlife respectively, Osaka is known around the world for its famous cuisine. Often called “The Nation’s Kitchin,” Osaka has a term called “Kuidaore” (食い倒れ), meaning to bankrupt oneself with food. The term appears to be used for any type of overindulgence in food or drink, even getting sick from eating or drinking too much. Believe me when I say that a couple more weeks in Osaka would have done just that to me. The two most famous foods that you might know from Osaka are Takoyaki (たこ焼き) and Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き). Takoyaki refers to octopus grilled in batter with scallions and topped with sweet sauce and Japanese mayonnaise. These tend to be sold in stands all over the city for a cheap price. Next, and my personal favorite: Okonomiyaki. The name literally means “Whatever you like grilled.” This dish resembles a pancake, but works much like our pizza, in terms of toppings. The main part is made from flour, yam, water, eggs and diced cabbage. From there, you can order a large variety of toppings, including bacon, octopus, shrimp, egg, cheese, vegetables and more. I loved the bacon, egg and cheese okonomiyaki myself, as seen in the picture provided. Fortunately in Osaka, good food is very easy to find. I found my favorites in Osaka’s Dotombori street. This street is filled with a variety of restaurants, shops and arcades. But one things sets it apart from anything else in the world: display. Never in my life have so many lights, sirens and shouting chefs whirled together to produce such an incredible symphony of sound and visuals. From flashing multi-color displays, to the sound of sizzling takoyaki to chefs yelling out food orders, the atmosphere remains unparallel by any other city that I have visited to date. I wish I were still there, but alas, I am back in Nagoya preparing for classes tomorrow. I hope you all enjoyed this installment of my blog and check in next week for my blog on recycling. Jaa, ne!

No Comments

Posted in Travels

Tags: , ,