TRAVEL BLOG: Housing!

01 Feb

post%203.jpg
皆様今日は(Hello everyone)! If you happen to be interested in studying abroad, this post covers one of the most important aspects of your study-abroad-experience: housing in a dorm/homestay. My experience happens to be unique, since I was confirmed to be with a host family. Due to the father’s recent health complication, however, I was relocated to a dormitory when the staff could not find another host family on short notice. Although this may seem as very frustrating to you, this actually worked out in my favor. Most homestay options are about 45 minutes to one-and-a-half hours away by train. At Nanzan University, there are two dorms: the Nagoya dorm and the Yamazato dorm. Both of these dorms are about one/two minutes walking distance from the main campus. I live in the Yamazato dormitory with one other IES person. Most of the people in my program live in the Nagoya dorm. The people in my dorm come from various countries, including the Netherlands, France, Mexico, the UK, Canada, China and, of course, Japan. This makes it possible to use Japanese a lot, since English isn’t really used by many people here. The dorm has three levels: the first floor a common room/kitchen area, the second floor for male occupants and the third for female occupants. All of the dorm rooms are singles with a nice desk, a roomy closet space and a toilet and sink. The two top floors have their own laundry/shower space. Washing and drying here is free, though the dryer takes about ten hours to complete all the clothes (Even as I write this, I still have about eight hours to go). There are some rules in the dorms that might surprise you: You can’t bring friends up to your room. They have to stay in the common room on the ground floor. No shoes are allowed past the door. You take them off and leave them at the entrance. Alcohol is allowed in the dorms, including your room. The last rule surprised me the most: the common room downstairs is closed and locked at 11:00PM. Other than that, I really enjoy this living space. I hope, if you choose to study abroad, that you look into housing seriously. In general, if you really want to use a lot of Japanese and gain a unique insight into a country’s culture, I recommend living with a homestay. I happened to be lucky getting this kind of a dorm experience. Needless to say, your experience will differ dramatically from mine. That’s all for now. Check in again next time! また来週 (See you next week)!

No Comments

Posted in Travels

Tags: , ,