TRAVEL BLOG: Nanzan Classes

29 Jan

sam%20post%20pic%202.jpg
Hello again, readers! This blog will revolve around classes at Nanzan University, thus short in natue as a result. If you’re like me, reading long blogs can be tedious and boring. Thus a short blog makes things a bit easier. At Nazan, all foreign students here are required to take a Japanese language course (the course counts for eight total credits). The Japanese language courses are numbered 300 to 700. I was placed in 300 because the material in 400 would have been too advanced for me. Unfortunately, my class has the problem of being too easy. The 300 level class at Nanzan roughly translates to the 052-101 class at UVM in terms of contents and grammar. Anyway, you can then choose from a variety of other electives, ranging from religion, to culture and to foreign policy. I chose to take foreign policy, calligraphy and writing II. With the exception of my foreign policy class, all of the classes I’m taking are conducted in Japanese. The class size seems reasonable, with about 13 to 14 students per class. The teachers are always willing to help students in and out of class. In terms of access to the city, one would walk about five minutes to the nearest subway station and pay about two dollars and 30 cents to take a twelve-minute ride into Nagoya. If you look at a brochure for the university, you will notice that it is a Roman-Catholic university. I found this odd, as the main religions in Japan are Buddhism and Shinto. That being said, the idea of a religious university here is far different than in the United States. The students here are not actively religious, nor do they appear to embrace the Roman-Catholic faith. Very interesting.

No Comments

Posted in Travels

Tags: , ,