Introducing Centennial Woods

The place that I chose to observe the phenological changes in is Centennial Woods. When you enter Centennial Woods, the spot that I chose is behind the information stand. There are several characteristics of this spot that make define it and make it recognizable. The first is that it sits behind the information stand which marks the entrance of the woods and evidence of human contact with the land and the space as a whole. Additionally there are many trees but one in particular always sticks out to me. It has a crooked in shape with three trees coming out of the base of the trunk. The base of the trunk also has a large opening that exposes some of the insides of the tree as the forest floor debris inside. There are several other markers that indicate to me that I am in my spot in Centennial Woods. One of other more distinct features is a large hole in the ground where it looks like and animals may have dug for a burrow or for hibernation of some sort. Additionally there is a pathway that leads to my spot. Since I live on Redstone Campus, ride my bike over to Centennial woods. I typically go through the main part of campus and have to cross several cross walks along the way. When I am in my spot in Centennial Woods I feel peaceful. There is something about being surrounded by trees that gives me a different perspective on life and the things that really matter. I feel much more in tune with the earth and nature and overall it is an extremely positive feeling. Additionally, I feel both thankful and lucky to be able to have access to such a serene place and to be able to experience the miraculous changing of the seasons. 

Field Notes

10/1/19: Overcast skies, humid, 65 degrees Fahrenheit

• Leaves remain on the trees and are mostly green. 
  • One tree has distinct red leaves along its vines and they cover the forest floor. 
  • Hole/ditch in the ground
  • Birds chirping

10/15/19: Sunny, 60 degrees Fahrenheit

• Many leaves are yellowish in color Less leaves present on trees (40% have fallen) 
  • Birds and mosquitos still preset 
  • Crickets/grasshopper making noises
  • Leaves on forest floor yellowish/brown in color
  • Some leaves (green ash) bright pinkish color

Processed with VSCO with aga2 preset
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.