Final Phenology Visit – Salmon Hole

It has been a crazy year at my phenology spot. My visits to Salmon Hole on the Winooski River were filled with tracking adventures, bird sightings, walks with friends, wildlife identification and tranquil views of the Winooski River.

During my visit to Salmon Hole this week, I encountered more species of trees that are beginning to bud. Sugar Maple, White Oak, Paper Birch, American Beech, and Basswood have all shown this phenological change.

More wildlife species are out and about. I spotted a few crows and mallard ducks by the river.

Culture and nature intertwine at Salmon Hole in the form of fishing on the river. People make a habit or tradition of coming back every year to fish when the Salmon are running. Humans have made a culture out of monitoring the patterns of wildlife and nature.

Do you consider yourself a part of your place? Why or why not? If so, how?

I do consider myself a part of my phenology spot because of my recently-gained familiarity to the area. Coming back to this location continually establishes an intimate connection to the land and its wildlife. I have the pleasure of being a guest in the company of Salmon Hole on the Winooski River. I am nothing more than an observer who appreciates the nature that these lands harbor and foster.

I can’t believe its been a whole year now! It seems like yesterday that I visited Salmon Hole for the first phenology blog prompt of NR 1.

Thank you to the Walts! Thank you to Olivia for being an amazing UTA in both NR1 and 2! Thank you to Sydney for being a wonderful GTA!

And finally, thank you Salmon Hole for your hospitality.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.