WE ARE BACK FOR ROUND 2 – Salmon Hole Visit #1 Phenology Blog

I am very glad to be back in Burlington after the long winter break between semesters. It was nice to come back to a snow-covered Burlington. Coming from Rhode Island, where snow totals were far lower than up north, I was happy to return to UVM. With the return to Burlington means the return to classes and NR 2!

I chose to keep Salmon Hole on the Winooski River as my phenology spot because of the connection I developed for it during my visits throughout the first semester. Even when all of the deciduous trees have lost their foliage the natural area still has an unspeakable beauty. 

As soon as I descended into the wooded area, I saw animal everywhere we looked. Tracks from this visit indicate the presence of Mice, Cottontail Rabbit, and Deer (Referenced in Tracking Guide).

There was also a flock of ducks we found loitering on the iced-over Winooski.

I surveyed the area of Salmon Hole that I have continually been returning to and found the twigs of Red Oak (Quercus rubra), American Beech (Fagus grandifolia), White Oak (Quercus alba), and Common Buckthorn (Rhamnus cathartica). 

Here is a sketch of a twig with its labeled parts:

Overall, the snowpack is dense and very little soil is visible. Most deciduous trees are budding. A few of the trees have fallen since my last visit.

I’m ecstatic to be back and cannot wait to see this natural area come to life as spring approaches.

Until next visit,

Gzero

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.