It’s June! Cold and rainy?! Gah!!
On the list for today:
- AD Domain Services on Server 2008 and Operations Manager 2007
Operations Manager – verifying current version
Post regarding installing hotfixes on the Management Server using SetupUpdateOM.exe. Never heard of it before. Doesn’t exist on my system. Perhaps it’s part of OPs Mgr 2007 R2?
I decided that the KB956184 patch looked the most promising. Because the installation involved manual replacement of msi files in the AgentManagement folder on the Root Management Server, I could back-out the changes if things went South.
After renaming the original 64-bit OOMADs.msi files and replacing them (AMD64 and IA64 versions) with the ones from the hotfix. Then I used the OpsMgr console to uninstall the agent from my four Windows server 2008 AMD64 domain controllers, one at a time. For each I verified that the new AD MP Helper Object was installed, checking appwiz and Program FilesCommon. Then I checked the Operations Manager Event Log. This time, there were no errors running the DSDiscovery script. Health explorer on each DC is now clean. Yes!!!
The only lingering issue is the presence of five errors in the event logs on each DC, complaining about the inability to locate Performance Counters for DirectoryServices: “DS Search sub-operations/sec”, “LDAP Client Sessions”, “LDAP Searches/sec”, “LDAP UDP operations/sec”, and “LDAP Writes/sec”. I verified that I could see these counters within Performance Monitor on the DC. This thread in the OpsMgr Management Pack newsgroup seems germane, though the Live login isn’t working for me at the moment.
Managed to chime in on that thread. We’ll see if anything useful comes of it.
Having successfully deployed some agents to some recalcitrant hosts, I’m now trying to address a false positive issue on a DC. I’m getting an error regarding “AD Op Master Respone [sic] Monitor”. The host has a recurring error:
AD Op Master Response : The script ‘AD Op Master Response’ failed to create object ‘McActiveDir.ActiveDirectory’. This is an unexpected error.
The error returned was: ‘ActiveX component can’t create object’ (0x1AD)
This led me to a blog post suggesting that the AD Helper Object needed to be installed. So I look in the OpsMgr host’s AgentManagement location and find the msi. When I tried to install that msi package, I received an error that the “this installation package is not supported by this processor type.” The host is running AMD64 Windows, and the file came from the AMD64 part of the AgentManagement tree.
I checked the list of installed apps on another x64 DC, and saw that the “System CenterManagement Pack Helper Objects” item had been installed. So I tried repairing the agent install from within Ops Manager. Error persists.
Checking the hotfixes required to make Ops Manager agent work on Server 2008, and they are missing. Stay tuned…
Applied the hotfixes and still no love. I did dig into the eventlog, and saw that it appear the ADDiscover script failed in some way. I tried running the script manually (using the arguments from the eventlog entry), but it still failed. I fell back to google and found the following promising KB article: Alerts are issued from the MOM Active Directory Management Pack after you install an Operations Manager 2007 SP1 agent over a MOM 2005 agent on a domain controller that is running a 64-bit version of Windows.
Now this KB article describes a set of circumstances that don’t match my situation. I didn’t install MOM 2005 agent and then the OpsMgr 2007 agent on the same host. This system was built from the ground up with server 2008 x64 and Operations Manager 2007 was deployed here way before server 2008. However, the constellation of symptoms and architecture issues make it sound interesting.
Just found Kevin Holman’s blog and his list of hotfixes. I must go read about these and OpsMgr SP2 before doing anything drastic. Nothing like breaking the server late on a Friday…
Spent much of today wrangling with System Center Operations Manager and my new backup WINS server. There’s a list of hotfixes that are pre-requisites for running OpsManager, including the agent, on Server 2008. One of the prereq’s requires .NET framework, so I’m ignoring that one (KB954049). My primary WINS server, also Server Core, has the OpsMgr Agent deployed just fine. I’ll figure it out, but my forehead is sore from bang on the brick wall.
Also noticed an occasional WINS EventID 4224, which represents a WINS db error which “This may or may not be a serious error.” I dug deeper, following the steps in KB168595 to take the two’s complement of the error value reported in the event to find the Jet Database error. The article links to a list or errors for the JetPack utility (not the Jet DB header file—I’m not downloading an SDK for this), the error cited in the example corresponds with the error code listed here. So my error code means “JetInit already called.” These codes also align with the current Extensible Storage Engine error doc at MSDN.
Since the service is functioning fine, I’ll call this a cosmetic error for now. But I wanted to record the detective work for posterity.
Also did some network troubleshooting and dope-slapped the WDS server. And spent much time banging head on Ops manager.
Glen Elder passed away. I didn’t know him personally, but as a member of the LGBTQA community, I felt his presence. He will be missed.