Apple Talk conference call

By Terence Bradshaw

I hope everyone’s ‘second winter’ is going well. While we’ve had some pretty good cold snaps this week, I don’t expect that the warm spell in February significantly reduced apple bud hardiness. Time will tell, however, if I’m right, but keep up with your pruning because spring will be here before we know it.

I am posting a link to a program sponsored by IPM Institute of North America and University of Wisconsin Eco-Fruit Project, “Apple Talk”: https://ipminstitute.org/projects/specialty-crop-grower-services/appletalk/. The IPM Institute operates on a subscription system, and Apple Talk registration is $150 for the year. This weekly conference call covers numerous aspects of apple pest and crop management in an interactive environment. I was a subscriber and occasional contributor about ten years ago and the quality of material was very good. I recommend it as a means to get a sense of what other growers are facing during the growing season. However, keep in mind that the program is based in the upper Midwest, and conditions there may not always translate to those in our region.

Where trade names or commercial products are used for identification,

no discrimination is intended and no endorsement is implied.

Always read the label before using any pesticide.

The label is the legal document for the product use.

Disregard any information in this message if it is in conflict with the

label.

The UVM Tree Fruit and Viticulture Program is supported by the

University of Vermont Agriculture Experiment Station, a USDA NIFA E-IPM

Grant, and USDA Risk Management Agency Funds.