2. Oktober 2012: Dienstag

Oh my, it has been two weeks since I last updated this. That’s never good. It means I’ve been running around like a be-headed chicken!

Backup things, LDAP things, meetings and dealing with vendors. Just not a lot of FUN!

The newest is that I’ve got Mountain Lion to upgrade on my MacBook Pro. Of course, to be sure of a flawless Time Machine based upgrade, I have to decrypt the drive in the thing first. Decrypting the drive was all day yesterday happening. And now, Time Machine won’t finish backing up the disk. I’m guessing that will take all of today. In the past hour, it has managed to back up 2.6MB out of the 388.1MB it needs to. Yeah, I Love Apple. Scratch That … I Love TECHNOLOGY. It always breaks when you really can’t afford to have it do so.

Backups:

• Clones are digging into the new tapes and of course, first time through they get written a short amount. Of course, the backups wriggle their way across 14 bazillion tapes, so relabeling that one tape wipes out half a dozen others and usually still leaves a tape with almost zilch for data on it going to the vaults. I hate this. I really need to develop a procedure to do that first scraping of the manufacturing dust off new tapes.
  • Moving the clone tapes that have been marked full out of the jukebox into the vault system.
  • Starting to dig into (with DataDomain) why the 10GbE connection is not performing at expected levels.

LDAP:

• Got a couple of Former Students to manually add.

Tags: