Posted: December 19th, 2014 by fcs
- Two BCA’s that were not automatically found. One of them was foretold to me yesterday by a phone call from the person worried because they were refusing to give their national id number. The other is unique enough that they were also found. Both were merged.
- Clones did finish up yesterday for the week.
- That blasted CoM/IS group failed again.
- EMC notifies me that 22.214.171.124 has been released (11 days ago!).
- With replication between the primary and secondary broken, and no “shutdown” command available from the web console – I told the replica to reboot and tested the agent that is configured to talk to the replica while the reboot was happening. the agent successfully authenticated against the primary – so, I know that in the event of a replication failure, we should turn off the replica (or at least disable its network).
- Log messages issue conversation – that’s normal, what are you fretting about??? Ok, ok – I’ll learn AM 8.1 eventually.
- Replication problem – did webex with support
- openssl s_client -connect :7002 – verified both can see the other
- from SC looked at software versions. primary is correct (both are at 8.1sp1) replica thinks the primary is still on 8.1p06 – so it appears that the replication was broken by installing 8.1sp1 on the replica before the primary.
- Support is going to do more research into that angle and get back to me.
Posted: December 18th, 2014 by fcs
- A Former Student issue… dancing while tired is dangerous.
- Disk clones are almost finished – if everything works today, it should finish…
- That same CoM/IS group failed last night. Sent email to make certain someone is aware that I have noticed. Neither of us is aware of what is really the problem.
- testing on the sslvpn ASA. It works!
- testing on idp1 – it fails… oh replication is not working and idp1 has been assigned to the replica so, yeah, not gonna work! 622673 opened. Support Tech asked for dumps and is gone for the rest of the day… dumps provided. Will examine issue in the morning.
- Strange messages in the primary log about SecurID_Native domain… 622617 opened to see what that is about.
- snmptrap handling:
- List::MoreUtils and Config::IniFiles installed via CPAN.
Posted: December 17th, 2014 by fcs
- A possible duplication (modifying WRONG entry) error:
- Found it and merged the two entries.
- One CoM/IS group failed.
- Disk clones continue to run – all other clones are done.
- Scott wants API to determine if a person has a SecurID token or not.
- There is no such API – asking if a daily report of all users would work.
- Continuing to work the RSA open issues.
- No response about the license file being invalid.
- Some admin (who shall not be named, but stares back at me from the mirror frequently) failed to extract the .xml file from the .zip file which is what needs to be uploaded. I swear that I uploaded the .zip file when I first deployed this thing. Oh, I did – but it was the “quick start” process which is different! Doh! Dumb system administrator!
- No response about the SSL certificate.
- No response about the encryption type of the backup.
- Opened new issue about Safari 8.0.2 and repeated authentications problem.
- They gave me a password so I don’t need to use the passcode – and it works now.
Posted: December 16th, 2014 by fcs
- No issues in the nightly update.
- Tape and CoM/IS clones completed, Disk clones continue.
- 8.1 production license.
- Setup -> System Settings:
- Critical System Event Notifications
- E-Mail (SMTP)
- Network Montoring (SNMP)
- Security Console Authentication Methods
- Authentication -> Policies
- SSL configuration (RSA gives odd answer)
- 8.1 SP 1 released – downloaded and applied.
- Nagios SNMP configuration:
- snmptt 1.4 downloaded and configuration started.
Posted: December 15th, 2014 by fcs
- No issues over the weekend.
- A node failure caused lots of CoM/IS backups to fail Friday night. Sadly, I didn’t get back to email after early Saturday morning, so I did not see the request to restart the backups.
- Tape dancing – at least move them out of the library into the firesafe (time is critical). One hundred eighty-three tapes moved into the fire safe for eventual transport over to the vaults.
- RSA confirms that I am not going to be able to perform a second 6.1 db installation – at least not easily.
- Need to research how to create a new user… Password is required – but what is it used for? RSA – can you tell me what I forgot to read??? — Nope – password is used for Security and Self-Service consoles only. We don’t let John Q. Public use those.
- Requested Production License – but it says I already upgraded it and I should download it, but what I downloaded doesn’t work. Ugh.
Posted: December 12th, 2014 by fcs
- No issues in the past two days.
- Clones finished up yesterday while I was out.
- Replacement tape drive arrived.
- Installed. Bye-Bye 1310069076. Hello 1310021838.
- Uhoh… first boot – SCD 5 – hardware fault.
- Second boot – clean. Whew! ITDT Dump sent to Qualstar for examination.
- Qualstar confirms – it reported a hardware fault and then No Problem!
- put it into production – will it pass the weekend torture test???
- SR 67457948 (recover – selinux): gathering the info EMC requires.
- Data gathered and attached to the SR.
- SR 66570742 (AFTD Space calculation): phone call – they have reproduced it in the lab and will work on it… I warned them that I was updating to 126.96.36.199 on 12/22 (per Security Release).
Other duties as assigned:
- Software download for the defunct, outdated, seldom actually functions Oracle Calendar client from 2006 have disappeared off the Software Download site. Hmmm… probably my fault. I am assigned to diagnose and repair.
- Oops… never mind… it was a lack of caffeine on the reporter’s side of the conversation.
- Emergency security fix…
- 8.1 P 06 downloaded and applied.
Posted: December 10th, 2014 by fcs
- Issues? Yep – we got another wrong family name last night. Request for confirmation of changed name sent to OSP.
- Tape and CoM/IS clones done. Disk clones continue.
- Tape drive 1310069076 (sn9/0) had five short tapes yesterday. Disabled the drive, took an itdt dump and sent that off to Qualstar for analysis. Will await their response before enabling the drive again.
- 188.8.131.52 installed on test systems to… test
- Updated lgtonmc install on harriet – and cfengine blew away and recreated the networker setup because I set the ports to a different set than it wanted which makes NMC not work until after 2pm.
- Looking for a test victim to move to 8.1.
Posted: December 9th, 2014 by fcs
- Issues – yeah, we got some:
- Added SSN and now we have a duplicate found. Two names, email to payroll, registrar and account services to get it sorted out.
- Another former student – did the dance.
- Clones continue
- cfengine yum update failed on harriet – manually installed all that would go. There is some problem in the yum database (or the staging stuff) that is preventing full updates.
- SR 66027568 (DD Compression) – want save run to sn9 and then sn5… perhaps the order is important. I hope not – but I’ll do it that way… and today it doesn’t make much difference which way I do it, they come out about the same… WTF????
- CoM/IS system fails to backup for second day. Updated client definition to skip missing files. Doug failed system over to another node. We shall see if it works tonight.
- Issue 333977 (IP Address search) – reminded them of the two questions I asked on 11/18 that they have not yet answered. They answered the questions… now to decide if I disable that search feature or not.
- swan certificates were delivered late yesterday. Downloaded them. Installed them.
- goose certificate requested, delivered, and installed.
Posted: December 8th, 2014 by fcs
- No Issues over the weekend.
- Cleaned up 9 bad entries in the NeededUserIDs file that have built up in the past year.
- Two CoM/IS groups died over the weekend – fallout from SAN work – cleared to ignore the failures.
- Clones started.
- recycled tapes in the UVM pool that should have been recycled a month ago. They have not because of B:\ backups (which NetWorker should never ever do) and backups from systems that have been shutdown permanently. I love my job…
- SR 64026734 – scan with persistent names – debugging dvdetect program provided. Now to downgrade the test system back to the 8.1.1 tree so I can try it for EMC (because they are not capable of testing their own code).
- Downgraded to 184.108.40.206, did the scan, saw the error, uploaded the daemon.raw file…
- SR 66570742 – AFTD used space calculation – updated to ask why they have not responded in the last week to the email I sent them.
- SR 66847046 – DD compression – updated to ask why they have not responded to the update I gave them showing that save screws up, the uasm command output redirected to the dd690 storage works just fine (i.e., I have proven it is NW that is causing the problem – now stop telling me it is not). Therefore, they are now in ignore mode.
- Request from DD rep to do tests in reverse order??? Asked for clarification of what he wanted me to reverse – was it the save order, the uasm order or the order of the targets of each???
- SR 67457948 – recover selinux – it is not my script, I can cause the same error running recover directly without the script.
- Reconfigured the test server (220.127.116.11) to test the dvdetect binary for SR 64026734.
- Attempting to get cert… InCommon says “Error: an Unknown Error occurred” ok? … huh?
Posted: December 5th, 2014 by fcs
- Clones finished.
- CoM/IS backup issues… what is up with that? Asking them.
- Oh – three systems have been shut down permanently. Disabled them and the group they were in. All better now.
- 8.1 backups can be set up to be scheduled – targets are local disk, CIFS, NFS – obviously, since NW client cannot be put on the appliance – CIFS or NFS are the UVM options. Asking team if we have similar scenario anywhere else yet…
- 6.1 migration run. It worked! YAY!
- Deploy Replica and document process.