Positions: Full-time temporary (approximately 25) and part-time temporary (few) positions available.
Full-time (40 hours) – work all weekends plus 3 days per week (5 days per week total);
Part-time position works weekends, plus Thursday mornings.
Background & Mission of the Program:
The Watershed Stewardship Program (WSP) at Paul Smith’s College is a community-based program designed primarily to educate the public about aquatic invasive species (AIS) issues pertaining to specific watersheds. Stewards interact with visitors at boat ramps and perform watercraft inspections intended to prevent the transport of AIS. The WSP also fulfills research and service functions.
Upper St. Regis Lake, Rainbow Lake, Lake Placid (boat launch), Saratoga Lake, Tupper Lake, Raquette Lake, Fulton Chain of Lakes, Cranberry Lake and other lakes. Some stewards will be based in the west-central Adirondack area; others based in Saranac Lake-Lake Placid area.
Term of appointment:
May 20 – August 25, 2013 (14 weeks); 1 additional week until Labor Day required, depending on employee’s fall semester school schedule (15 weeks grand total).
Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Public education and natural/cultural history interpretation.
2. Perform watercraft inspections; remove AIS.
3. Data collection and analysis: recreational use patterns, AIS removal.
4. Service projects: exotic AIS mapping and control, operation of boat wash station, trail maintenance, etc.
5. Report writing.
6. Stewards will spend most of your days outdoors, in all weather.
1. Completed or pursuing a degree in natural resources, biology, environmental studies, science, or a related field.
2. Capable of performing duties independently and proactively.
3. Strong verbal communication, writing, and environmental interpretation skills.
4. Ability to work in inclement weather, both on and off the water.
5. Meet the College’s standard for effective medical coverage during the period of this appointment.
6. Experience operating and navigating small watercraft preferred.
7. Capacity to carry and maneuver up to 50 pounds and perform other strenuous activities preferred.
Applicants may submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references.
Electronic submissions are strongly encouraged and should be sent in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing address: Recruitment Manager, Paul Smith’s College, PO Box 265, Paul Smiths, NY 12970.
Faxed to: (518) 327-6161. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Paul Smith’s College values diversity in the College community and seeks to assure equal
opportunity through its continued Affirmative Action program.