THE SQUAM CONSERVATION INTERNSHIP
(Application deadline is March 17, 2013.)
The purpose of this 13-week unpaid internship is to give future conservation leaders the skills and experience needed to effectively move onto the next professional level while at the same time helping the Squam Lakes Association (SLA) with our conservation mission. This program will provide hands-on conservation work experience and certifications over a broad range of activities. Interns will serve as campsite hosts and caretakers at our backcountry campsites, help with the eradication of variable milfoil, perform water quality testing and monitoring, help with public education and outreach projects, perform conservation duties such as shoreline restoration and trail maintenance and construction, meet and greet lake users and educate them about the dangers of invasive species.
Squam Conservation Interns will receive the following as a part of the internship:
1. Scuba diving certification
2. Weed control diver certification
3. Lake Host certification
4. NH Safe Boating certification
5. NH Commercial boating license
6. Basic first aid & CPR certifications
7. Housing with kitchen facilities
8. Travel stipend (intern location dependent)
9. Weekly Food stipend ($75/wk)
1. Candidate must be 18 years of age on or before June 1, 2013
2. Have a valid United States driver’s license
3. Be a competent swimmer capable of swimming 500 yards
4. Should have snorkeling experience
5. Ability to carry and use heavy tools while hiking
6. Able to hike at least 8 miles in a day.
7. Available May 23, 2013 through August 22, 2013. (end date negotiable)
Visit www.squamlakes.org to apply
Application deadline is March 17, 2013.