A New Environment

During my break I spent as much time as a could at the beach, despite the very much NOT beach weather. The beach is my happy place, my favorite place. I love the ocean, the waves crashing, and the sand in between my toes. I live a 5 minute walk from the bay, and a quick 15 minute boat ride to the ocean. However, this time I visited a beach in Southampton, an hour away. Both the ocean and bay side have little to offer species wise. The sand is endless and the water goes as far as the eye can see. Long Island has a huge deer problem, as many places do. The deers are everywhere! And if you see them, they are not the slightest bit phased. I found many (of what I assumed to be) deer tracks (from the distance) within the beach grass/dune area. However, due to the immense deer tick problem and the fact that Long Island is essentially sinking, dunes are illegal to walk on and I could not snap any pictures. I sadly found no little sand crabs buried under the sand, and man do I love those guys. I suppose the water is too cold for them? or they haven’t bred yet? I also saw no whales or dolphins. Often times you can see them far off shore, but I had no luck. Once again I’m not sure why, I don’t follow whale migration patterns. What I did find a lot of is SEAGULLS. Those guys are EVERYWHERE. I mean if you have food in ur hand they will grab it from you, I’m slightly terrified of their ambition. Lastly there was a large amount of phragmites along the bay side. These invasive guys are all over Long Island especially in wetlands (they LOVE brackish water).