in awww-nor of The awwwards

I’ve always been a pretty big fan of the triptych, not only were they used pretty often to represent the holy trinity for Daddy Jesus, but they give you that unsymmetrical yet cohesive feeling of poetic triplets. The parallel images on either side seem austere and logical, but the off-kilter middle panel gives the page a pop, pizzazz, or oomph if you will. I want my websites to be organized so I’m not bombarded by one hundred images, anxious my computer might overheat and malfunction (I don’t know how the internet works). However, I don’t want it to be too official like I’m on one of those .edu or .gov type websites. I’m a fun, money-hungry, .com type. The website is clean and crisp, with a lot of negative space. Negative space allows your eye to rest a little as you scroll about the page, focusing on what is most important. The graphic designers chose to introduce an animation as soon as you open the page. This did not work for me. It reminds me of back when people still had Myspace or Tumblrs and put music that automatically played when you opened their pages. Not only does it get old, but the extra effort puts me on edge — what are you really hiding? Some online shops do this, and it always deters me because I feel like they spent their money on the animation rather than on their security. This is probably incorrect, let’s face it those sites are loaded, but too much fanciness keeps me on edge. The style itself is unique enough with the entire hocus-pocus internet voodoo.

This website is user friendly, but there is infinite scroll enabled on my browser when I access the website. As with most insignificant aspects of life, this functionality makes me nervous. Some chic websites include this for optimal sleekness, but at times it can seem as if the page is endless, which is daunting. The color scheme reminds me of the graphic novel Asterious Polyp, in which the author uses indigo and pinks rather than blacks.

The use of color instead of neutrals makes the website seem current, but since they are analogous in color scheme it does not seem elementary or gaudy. A tab on their website outlines their use of characters and handmade icons — I believe this is risky and I am not sure how I feel about it. While this is fresh and inimitable, when icons are not standardized this can come across too daring for those that are visiting the website from an older demographic. Some of the symbols are less obvious than other ones, I spent a couple minutes trying to figure out some of them and I’m not even in my mid-twenties yet. Not that older people would toss their laptop across the room in a fit of rage upon seeing customized icons, but not every business could pull this branding off. The characters in the project are for the purpose of creating a neighborhood that serves as a networking platform for professionals. The website crafts it deliberately to represent a The Sims style suburb with houses that represent different people.

This is appealing because it gives the client an ability to create a community without the team-building platitudes of yesteryear. Daring, appealing, yet user-friendly, this website reminds me of a Rihanna. She has that down-to-earth approachable vibe, yet there are things about her that only certain people could ever pull off.