Lost Pond Sanctuary

For my thanksgiving blog post I decided to go to some woods that I was very familiar with, Lost Pond nature sanctuary. The entrance to Lost Pond sanctuary is located right at the end of my street and consists of thirty acres of walking trail and a large publics works building that houses many of the town’s municipal vehicles like trash trucks and utility vehicles. As the name implies there is also a pond back in the woods called Lost Pond. It is quite small, but is a home to many animals including frogs, salamanders, turtles and ducks. In the rest of the woods there are many other animals like squirrels, deer and coyote. There is a quite large coyote population, even from my house I can hear them howl at night.

Lost Pond sanctuary is very different from Redstone Woods in many ways. For starters, Redstone Woods is under an acre while Lost Pond sanctuary is thirty acres. Lost Pond sanctuary is also far more natural and less disturbed by people than Redstone Woods is. In Lost Pond the area that is commonly disturbed by people is quite small and only consisted of the trails that run through there. Lost Pond sanctuary in general has a very low foot traffic and is mostly only used by people who live in my neighborhood. Redstone on the other hand is used by most of UVM’s campus. Along with that there is far less plants on the ground level than at Lost Pond and more grass that is commonly stepped on by people.