Wednesday’s assignment

21 Mar

Class(es),

For Wednesday, I want you to take a closer look at one of the five questions you asked about your five topics.

Remember, I asked you to turn your five topic ideas into questions: Ex. “Hydroelectric power is the best option for replacing America’s dependence on fossil fuels” could be turned into the question “If hydroelectric dams are a cheap and effective source of power, why have only __ number been built in the US in the last 50 years?”

Once you have turned all five potential topics into original questions, I want you to decide which question you think has the most potential as the guiding idea for your research essay. Basically, choose the one you want to write about.

After you have done this, I want you to find three sources that potentially help you answer your question. Remember, as we saw in our workshop today, a source may be anything from an interview to a scholarly article. (sorry, even though personal observation can be used in your paper, it cannot be counted as a found source.)

Then, annotate the sources: tell me why you think each particular source will contribute to building a unique answer to your question.

Note: one of these sources MUST take a different approach to the issue than the other two; an opposing viewpoint.

Bring your sources and annotations to class Wednesday: You can bring them in paper form or email them to yourself (we will do a short workshop on evidence).

Be Sociable, Share!