Prompt 3

Phenological Change and Sense of Place

As time goes on, seasons change, events occur, and we create relationships. At the beginning of this module, I was excited to explore areas in Vermont and be required to go outside for homework. I had no idea how much my location would affect me, and I have developed a sense of place in Centennial Woods. According to Chris Brooks, “The relationship between a person and the land and the community in which they live, developed by experiential intimacy with natural processes, community, and history of that place.”

My location has fostered a sense of place for me in Burlington. I’m from Buffalo, New York, and I firmly believe that for the rest of my life, I will consider that city my home. However, at different points in time and history, a sense of place can change. In other posts I have created, I discuss the history of Centennial Woods and its traces of human interaction. For decades now, Centennial has been a place for residents and students to go and relax as well as learn, and I hope we continue to nurture and preserve this resource that impacts such a large group of people.

For more history on Centennial Woods, click HERE

After reading Naturally Curious, I noticed a lot of changes since the beginning of this project. In just under two months, my site has gone through drastic changes. The soil now has a consistency close to the mud, the abundance of life has slimmed, and the beautiful colors of autumn have quickly changed to brown and grey. While these phenological changes can be sad for some, I am excited to continue to observe changes and see my site in a new light (or lack thereof since daylight saving).

Below are some photos of my most recent visit. If you would like a more in-depth analysis of my most recent visit, click HERE

Front view of my location
left view from the location
right view from the location
back view from the location
ground of location

Gallery of Field Notes Taken